Welcome to the 2016-2017 year for the Dutch Canadian Business Club. While we are already 2 months into the new year, we thought it would be good to give you an update on what has happened and what we are planning for the next couple of months.
On September 8th we held our Annual General Meeting. Only 10 members, including three board members attended, but including the ten proxies received, a quorum was established. At the meeting we looked back at the previous year and the plan for 2016 – 2017 was discussed. In addition, a number of decisions were made by the membership:
- The proposed changes to the bylaws were approved. The updated document is attached to this letter.
- The board made a proposal to change the structure of the annual fees. Members will no longer be required to prepay for three events as part of the payment of the annual membership. This way the members can decide which event to attend without potential paying for events that will not be used, and it will allow us to be more flexible with the cost of the events, as we can now organize events that costs less and reflect that in the price. To reduce the risk of a negative impact from the removal of the pre-paids on the finances of the club, the members proposed to increase the annual dues to $150. Both proposals were accepted. The annual basic fee for a DCBC membership is per $150 for the 2016-2017 year, this amount includes the Nieuwjaarsborrel and the AGM, for all the other events there will be a fee per event.
- At the AGM the following board members were elected for 2016 – 2017:
President Helen Kuipers
Vice President Reinier Deurwaarder
Treasurer Martin Gerlings
Director Communications Sian de Vries
Membership Director Paul Pols
The positions for Secretary and Event Director are still vacant. Please reach out to us if you are willing to help your club and become a board member.
- The Board presented its budget for the 2016-2017 year. The members proposed to include a $1,000 donation to a good cause, and suggested that cause to be the Mustard Seed. Further, a committee will be formed to discuss an additional donation and the possibility of a charity event. These proposals were accepted, and the revised budget is included with this letter.
- The members noted that the bylaws requires the formation of a nomination committee. Despite the role of this committee being limited considering the limited number of members that volunteer for board positions in the last several years, the members requested the board to form the committee for this year, with Helen Kuipers and Wes van der Lee as members.
- The members requested the formation of a committee that will look into closer cooperating with Dutch business clubs or similar organizations in other locations. The membership proposed Irene Bakker as a member of this committee. From the Board, Reinier Deurwaarder will participate.
Some significant decisions were taken, don’t hesitate to contact a board member if you have questions or would like to discuss.
Paul has made a flying start as membership director. Only a few weeks into this position, he has already spoken with several potential new members. At the same time, the best and fastest way to grow the membership is when the other members also get involved in this process. We therefore want to challenge each member to introduce one potential new member to the club, either by inviting them to one of our events or by passing on his/her name to Paul. For each introduction made before January 31 has a chance to win a $50 gift card.
Audrey van Zuiden”
With disbelieve and deep sadness we heard the news about the tragic passing of Audrey van Zuiden. We would like to extend our sincere condolences to those who are affected by this loss, and wish them strength in this difficult time of sadness.
We had to cancel our first event of the year as a result of only a few member being interested to attend. Unfortunate, but probably caused by the Thanksgiving long weekend.
Our next event is Dutch Masters - Mingling & painting creates a master piece of art on November 3rd. This is a very relaxing way to network and learn about Dutch Painters. About 20 members will attend later this week. As we had to communicate the number of participants at the start of the week, joining this event is no longer possible.
At December 8, we will celebrate our annual Christmas Dinner at the modern location of Aloft Hotel and on January 19th we will have Oliebollen at the Nieuwjaarsborrel at Fort Calgary. Invites will be send out shortly.
“New DCBC Year”
We hope to see you all on our events, come and meet the new members and re-connect with old friends.
The Summer weather has finally arrived and this means we are at the end of our DCBC Year. The Trade Fair on June 2nd was our last event for this year.
We look back on a successful DCBC year. The membership of our club has increased and event attendance has been high, 98% of our members attended at least one event and the average number of attendees per event was 75%. Absolute highlight was the Indonesian dinner with over 70 people attending. Like last year, we tried to bring some more variety. We organized events at new locations, including The Minhas Brewery and Fort Calgary, but also had different types of topics, including Fietsen and Immigration. One thing that stood out according to our speakers was the enthusiasm of the members during their presentation.
After an unfortunate delay, including it being hacked before it was even live, we will be able to present our new website during our AGM. The new website will provide much more opportunity for members to interact and promote their business.
As I said before, none of the events could have been so successful without a great team. I would like to thank Helene van Os (Membership Director), Martin Gerlings (Treasurer), Reinier Deurwaarder (Vice President), Rosalie Korevaar, (Event Director) and Sian de Vries (Director Communications) for all their effort and dedication.
And of course I would like to thank all the members for attending the events, helping to find new members and for continuing to give us the feedback on how we can do even better.
The AGM will be held on September 8th, location, time and agenda will be send to you on a later date. Helene van Os and Martin Gerlings will not stand for re-election. Reinier Deurwaarder, Rosalie Korevaar, Sian de Vries and Helen Kuipers have announced to be re electable. If you would like to join the board please let us know before the AGM.
Although the board needs to be re-elected during the AGM we already planned some events for the next season.
Instead of an end of year barbecue we invite you all to a welcome back barbecue on September 17th.
On October 6th our first speaker of the year will be Angus Watt. Currently, Angus is Managing Director, Individual Investor Services, National Bank Financial. His expertise is in assisting with long term Financial Planning, Estate Planning, and Group Benefits. Angus and his group manage over $800,000,000 in assets and have over 130 years of combined market experience. As Central Alberta’s Business Authority, Angus broadcasts over 50 times per week on Global TV and 630 CHED. Angus Watt is also Honorary Consul of the Netherlands in Edmonton.
In November we will have a wine tasting event and on December 8th we will celebrate our traditional Christmas Dinner.
Looking at both the last year and our future certainly make me a proud President.
Robert H Schuller said; I'd rather attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed”.
We hope you will give us that chance again for the next season. Thank you and we will see you in September.
Enjoy the Summer!